Herring Gut Learning Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, political affiliation, age, or religious beliefs in the administration of its programs.
What Is Our Mission?
Through hands-on study and experience in aquaculture and marine science, we teach students to embrace learning, appreciate science and the environment, and help them grow as individuals.
Educational programs and services offered at our Port Clyde facilities, area schools, and in the field provide participants with unique training that encourages the preservation and economic development of coastal communities for present and future generations.
- Education is the key to the economic and cultural vitality of communities.
- Every child deserves a quality education that provides them with the academic and life skills necessary to reach their full potential as adults and compete in the 21st century workplace.
- Children who struggle in a traditional classroom need an alternative, hands-on approach to education to help them succeed.
- Effective instruction must make practical, meaningful connections to students' daily lives.
- Teachers need more hands-on teaching experience to spark their creativity and increase their content knowledge to improve student achievement in core academic subjects.
"Herring Gut taught me almost everything I needed to know for my current job ... They also have helped me through some of the roughest patches in my life by just being there and encouraging me to be better."
"Herring Gut was absolutely amazing. The teachers there were also great. I learned a lot by going there."